Understanding Dentures and All-On-4 Dental Implants for Missing Teeth
All-On-4 Dental Implant-Supported Dentures
Dentures are a reliable and secure way to restore your smile to full functionality and a pleasing appearance. Unfortunately, to many people, the idea of dentures is unappealing. This is the modern world, however, and dental innovations have created a solution for missing teeth that goes far beyond your grandmother’s dentures – All-On-4 dental implants.
Often called an implant-supported denture or a hybrid denture, the All-On-4 dental implant makes it possible for a person to have a more secure and permanent solution for their missing teeth.
Should you find yourself in the position of needing your permanent upper or lower teeth extracted – often the result of gum disease or a severe accident – then you will need to put something in the gaps left behind if you want to speak, eat, and function normally. Dentures are often the go-to option, but All-On-4 provides a more comfortable and appealing alternative.
All-On-4 Dental Implants Avoid Common Denture Problems
Modern dentures, while far more reliable than dentures of old, still have the same drawbacks as always, which is what makes the more permanent All-On-4 option so appealing. Some of the most common complaints that denture-wearers voice include:
- Soreness: Wearing dentures all day every day can cause people pain and even lead to the development of mouth sores. This irritation can develop after just a few hours of wear. Knowing that more meals and more of the day is still ahead of you before relief comes to call can be daunting hour after hour.
- Slipping dentures: Sometimes denture adhesives just don’t do the job they’re supposed to do, which can lead to unreliable dentures that slip around in your mouth or come out completely. It’s natural for the muscles of your tongue, cheeks, and lips to push against the dentures to get this foreign object out of the way.
- Excessive saliva: Dentures are taking up space in your mouth that isn’t normally inhabited. This can cause salivary glands to work much harder, which can also lead to slippage.
- A full mouth: Dentures get the job done in that they give you a complete smile and replace missing teeth, but they can feel cumbersome and too big, especially as you adjust to wearing dentures. Your mouth has to learn how to keep the dentures in place.
- Poorly fitted dentures. Because dentures are designed to rest on gum tissue and your jawbone, they can begin to feel loose over time – age and oral health complications can lead to deteriorating jawbone over time.
The solidity of All-On-4 dental implants keep dentures in place, fill the gaps left by missing teeth, and all without taking up extra space in your mouth. Both the appearance and feel of dentures and All-On-4 dental implants are natural, secure, and look great. In addition the All-On-4 dental implants help to preserve your jawbone.
How Do All-On-4 Dental Implants Work?
A mouthful of missing teeth is undesirable, and this situation truly makes it impossible for a person to live their life normally without feeling self-conscious about speaking, eating, or interacting with others. Whether you are missing all of your teeth on the top or bottom of your mouth – or both – All-On-4 dental implants are designed to replace an entire arch of teeth with only four dental implants.
It isn’t necessary for you to have one dental implant and one prosthetic for every missing tooth, especially if you are missing multiple teeth in one area. The All-On-4 only requires 4 implants to support your new teeth, this saves patients’ money. This helps insure better healing and acceptance of the implants by the tissue and jawbone after they are surgically put in place. This being said, even patients with limited bone tissue are often a candidate for All-On-4. Every case is unique and is evaluated completely for the best restorative dentistry solutions.
Benefits of All-On-4 Dental Implants
Once All-On-4 dental implants have been placed, time must pass to allow the sites to heal properly and to confirm that the implants are being accepted by the jawbone and gum tissue and that they are firmly in place. Then comes the fun part – the brand new smile. Prosthetic teeth – often in the form of modern dentures or dental bridges – are attached to the All-On-4 implants to create your brand new smile. The denture or partial plate is fitted securely, eliminating the biggest worries that denture-wearers have: No dentures slipping out of place or sliding out of your mouth.
With All-On-4 there is no need for a removable appliance. There is no need for tedious at-home care or the mastering of unreliable adhesives. There are no concerns about poorly fitted, unnatural-looking, uncomfortable dentures. In any form, dental implants are designed for convenience and longevity. They look natural and feel normal. They are easy to clean and require no special upkeep other than brushing and flossing daily and visiting your dentist regularly. Dental implants make eating a delight once again, they give people the confidence to speak up and be heard, and they restore both the functionality and appearance of your smile.
Questions about whether or not you’re a good candidate for this innovation? Get in touch with Moorestown Dental Professionals to learn more about dentures, dental implants, All-On-4, and restoring your missing teeth.